What to Do if You're Under Investigation
Contact an Experienced Englewood Criminal Defense Lawyer
You may wonder what to do if you're under investigation for a crime.
The first step is retaining an experienced attorney to help limit the
Defense attorney Alan M. Liebowitz can help with a bail hearing if you
have been charged and can represent you and protect your rights if you
are being interviewed by the police. Mr. Liebowitz thoroughly prepares
for trial, so if you end up in court, you can be confident that he will
be ready to provide an aggressive defense.
A Checklist Designed to Help Protect Your Rights
If you have been arrested on a criminal charge, there are some basic steps
you can take to help protect your rights, including:
- Contact a lawyer as soon as you have been arrested, or ask for one. It
is your legal right.
- Consult with a lawyer first. You should not speak with the police alone.
- Let your attorney handle any agreements made with the police, especially
if they try to offer some sort of deal.
- You have the right to remain silent. You don't have to talk to the
police and anything you do say can be used against you in court. If you
wish to exercise this right, say so out loud.
- You do not have to talk to the police without a lawyer present. It is always
best to have an attorney with you.
- The police must tell you what your rights are. It is a legal requirement
that they do so. If they don't, certain evidence may not be allowed at trial.
- Have your attorney present for any lineups or tests.
- Try to remember or write down the names, badge numbers and patrol car numbers
of any officers you speak to.
- Don't say anything about your case to anyone but your lawyer. This
includes friends, family or cell mates while you are in jail.
- Be polite. Bad behavior can count against you.
Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney with 25+ Years of Knowledge
It is never too early to seek experienced legal advice, even if you have
not yet been formally charged. We offer
free initial consultations, return phone calls promptly, and are available 24 hours a day, seven
days a week. Our offices are conveniently located near the George Washington
Bridge and the Lincoln Tunnel. Se habla Español.
Contact Attorney Liebowitz online or call (201) 340-9338 to schedule an appointment to discuss your case.